Statement of Faith
CANYON CHURCH OF CHRIST
STATEMENT OF FAITH
WE BELIEVE THAT:
- God is sovereign over all creation.
- Jesus is the Son of God and our Savior and Redeemer through his death, burial, and resurrection.
- God’s Spirit leads, seals, and comforts all believers.
- We serve as holy priests offering Christ-approved lives up to God.
- The Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, to be the inspired Word of God, without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His Will for the salvation of men, and the Divine and final authority for all Christian faith and life.
- There is one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ is true God and true man, having been conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died on the Cross a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Father, He now is our High Priest and advocate.
- The ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ, and during this age, to convict men, indwell, guide, instruct, and empower the believer for godly living and service.
- Man was created in the image of God, but fell into sin and is therefore lost and only through salvation in Jesus Christ can a spiritual life be obtained.
- The shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe.
- Water baptism by immersion and the Lord’s Supper are vital parts of salvation and the Christian life.
- Jesus Christ is the Lord and Head of the church, and that every local church has the right under Christ to decide and govern its own affairs.
- There will be a bodily resurrection of the dead; of the believer to everlasting blessedness and joy with the Lord, of the unbeliever to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment.
- Marriage has been instituted by God. The Canyon Church of Christ, herein after called Church, defines “marriage” as the exclusive covenantal union of a man and a woman in which such union is a lifetime commitment. A civil government’s sanction of a union will be recognized as a legitimate marriage by the Church only to the extent that it is consistent with the definition of “marriage” found in these Articles.
- Legitimate sexual relations are exercised solely within marriage. Hence, sexual relations outside of marriage (referred to in the New Testament as “porneia” including but not limited to, adultery, premarital sex, homosexuality, and pedophilia) are inconsistent with the teachings of the Bible and the Church. Further, lascivious conduct, transgender behavior, and the creation and/or distribution and/or viewing of pornography, are incompatible with the biblical witness.
- Every minister, board member, or employee, shall affirm their agreement with the Statement of Faith and shall conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent therewith. This shall be a prerequisite, and continual condition, for these positions.
- Every servant leader shall affirm their agreement with the Statement of Faith and behave in a manner that is consistent therewith. This shall be a prerequisite, and continual condition, for congregational membership.